Ingredients: 3 tbs Olive Oil; 100g Lardons; 1 large Shallot, finely diced; 2 large Garlic cloves, minced; 1 sprig fresh Thyme; 1 sprig Rosemary; 1 Bay leaf; 3 tbs Port; 120 ml Red Wine; 400 ml Fish Stock; 500 ml Chicken Stock.
1. Saute Lardons 2 minutes in Oil, until browned.
2. Add shallot, garlic and herbs and cook until softened - approximately 7 minutes.
3. Deglaze with Port, then add Wine and cook until reduced by two thirds.
4. Pour in Fish and Chicken Stock, add pepper to taste, and then simmer approiximately 20 minutes until reduced by half.
5. Strain through a fine seive, and the sauce is then ready for use.
This recipe makes quite a large quantity - normally enough to last me for several months. I generally keep it in the fridge in a sealed container, and reheat it as I need it. This is excellent with grilled or seared fish, and having some ready-made in the fridge means you can have a finished dish in the time it takes to cook a piece of fish on both sides.....