Sunday, 11 February 2007
Recipe: Egg-White Cheese Souffle
For Two generous servings.
Ingredients: 6-7 Egg Whites; 6 oz Gruyere; 5 fl oz Cream; one and a half oz Butter; 1 oz Flour
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees C. In a zimmertopf, melt the Butter, then stir in the Flour, and add the Cream, to make a roux.
2. Cut half of the cheese into very small cubes, and grate the rest of it.
3. Whisk the Egg Whites until stiff. Stir a quarter of the whisked Egg Whites into the roux, and then fold this mixture back into the remainder of the Egg Whites. At the same time, fold in the cubed and grated cheese,retaining a couple of tablespoons of the grated cheese for the top of the souffle.
4. Pour the mixture into a greased 8" souffle dish, top with the remaining grated cheese, and place in the pre-heated oven. Immediately you have put the souffle into the oven, reduce the temperature to 190 degrees C.
5. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the souffle has risen and the top is a rich dark brown.