Tuesday, 7 July 2020
Courgette (Zucchini) Souffle
This gets ticks in so many boxes: delicious; dietarily sound; economical; quick and easy; and it makes good theatre.
For two individual souffles
1 medium courgette (zucchini); two eggs plus one egg white; 1tbs butter; 1 tbs flour; 100 ml milk; 1/4 cup grated parmesan, plus extra for the top of the souffles; seasoning.
1. Heat the oven to 210 degrees C; butter the inside of two ramekins (for savoury souffles, I use a deep ramekin, 10 cm diameter and with a capacity of 350 ml).
2. Chop the courgette and put it in a small saucepan. Add water just to cover, and a sprinkling of salt. Over medium heat, reduce the water to nothing, by which time the courgette should have descended to mush.
3. Using the butter, flour and milk, make a bechamel, and to this add the cooked courgette, the yolks from the eggs, and the parmesan. Mix well, and season as necessary.
4. Beat the egg whites until stiff, adding a pinch of salt at the beginning, to encourage the process. tir athir of the beaten egg white into the courgette mixture, and then fold the latter back into the remaining beaten egg white.
5. Divide the mixture between the prepared ramekins, sprinkle the tops of the souffles with a little extra grated parmesan, and bake in the pre-heated oven for twelve minutes (or so...all ovens are different) until well risen and gratifyingly brown on top.