Saturday 7 April 2007
Recipe: Paupiettes of Pork
Ingredients: 1 Pork Tenderloin, trimmed of any fat or membrane; 6 Anchovy Fillets; 6 large fresh Basil Leaves; 1 Egg; 1 tablespoon of Milk; 25g grated Parmesan; 50g Plain Flour. Butter (for frying)
1. Slice the Tenderloin into 12 even slices, crosswise. Using a meat tenderiser, beat each slice until it is quite thin (about 6 mm), and has probably doubled in size.
2. In the centre of each slice place half an Anchovy Fillet and half a Basil Leaf. Fold each slice over, to contain the Basil and Anchovy, and then press the sides together to seal (I generally beat round the edges lightly with the tenderiser, to make a better seal)
3. Beat Egg and Milk together in a shallow dish. In a separate shallow dish put the Parmesan and Flour, thoroughly mixed together.
4. Dip each Paupiette first in the Egg and Milk mixture, and then in the Flour and Parmesan mixture. Make sure they are well covered on each side.
5. Fry in melted butter, 3 minutes on each side.
Goes well with any green vegetable - Spinach works well, or lettuce braised in butter with Broad Beans, for example.