Sunday, 25 March 2007
Recipe: Polpettone with Tuna and Spinach
Ingredients: 675g Fresh Spinach, cooked and squeezed dry; 150g canned Tuna; 4 Anchovy Fillets; 2 eggs; one medium sized white bread roll; 12 fl oz Milk; 170g fresh Parmesan, grated; 25g fresh Breadcrumbs; Salt & Pepper; Olive Oil; Lemon Juice.
1. Chop Spinach briefly in a food processor, and turn into a large mixing bowl. Add grated Parmesan and mix thoroughly.
2. Chop Tuna and Anchovies together briefly in the food processor, and add these to the spinach/cheese mixture.
3. Dice the Bread Roll and leave to soak in the Milk in a shallow bowl.
4. Beat the Eggs and add to the Spinach mixture, along with the fresh Breadcrumbs. Incorporate thoroughly.
5. Squeeze the soaking liquid (to be discarded or used otherwise) from the diced Bread, and mix this into the Spinach mixture. Season generously with Salt & Pepper.
6. Soak a piece of cheesecloth or a dishcloth thoroughly and then wring out thoroughly. Lay the cloth on the work surface. Turn the Spinach mixture onto it, and form a large 'sausage' shape, 12 to 15 inches in length. Roll the 'sausage' tightly in the cloth, and secure well at each end with string.
7. Place the tied bundle in a fish kettle. Cover with water. Put the lid on, and place on the burner(s) of your hob. Heat until the water begins to boil, then reduce temperature and simmer for 35 minutes. Remove the bundle from the water, and let it rest for several minutes before you unwrap it, and leave it to cool completely to room temperature.
To serve, cut into slices approximately 1 cm thick, and drizzle with a little Olive Oil and Lemon juice.